For a while I have been seeing rave reviews for the Laura Geller Balance -n-Brighten baked color correcting foundation and I was hesitant to pick it up since I have dry skin and thus generally stay away from powder foundations. Then some 3 months back while browsing through her website I saw this kit and it was on sale and took the plunge..speaking of which there is a sale going on at her website which ends midnight today!
Since I havn’t tried any of her products before I thought this kit would be perfect to try her baked products. By the way I was super impressed with her customer service…they billed me the full price for the kit by mistake instead of the discounted price and one quick phone call was all it took to fix the problem immediately!
So this is what I got in the mail a few days later..
I am usually a sucker for lovely packaging and I must admit that this bag didn’t wow me in anyway..in fact I felt it wasn’t made very well as you can see that the red piping kind of overlaps a bit.
Now, take a look at the stuff inside this bag..
I ordered my kit in the shade fair. I think the other 2 shades offered are porcelain and tan. So I got the following things in my kit
- The Balance -n-brighten baked color correcting foundation in fair
- The Bronze-n-brighten baked color correcting bronzer in fair
- Blush -n- brighten baked cheek color in Pink Buttercream
- Baked marble eyeshadow duo in Pink icing/Devils Food
- A powder brush
- A double ended shadow and liner brush
Now lets take a look at the good things about this kit….
- I am thrilled to report that although I have dry skin I had no problems using the balance n brighten foundation powder. It didn’t stick to any dry patches which I think is really awesome 🙂
- The foundation powder is meant to be used alone and I did try using it just on top of my primer. I would say this gives more of a medium to light coverage. I did try to build it up a bit but didnt really notice better coverage by applying more of the stuff on my face. I do find myself using this more as a top up to my foundation and I think it really does brighten your face up a bit when used as a setting powder.
- All the baked products in this collection are very finely milled and silky smooth to touch.
- Both the balance-n-brighten foundation and bronzer are swirled with different colors to provide color correction. The Bronzer in this kit seemed a bit cooled toned to me. It is probably best used to warm up the cheeks.
- I have to say that my favorite thing in this kit is the blush ! I generally love to use blushes and this one was sooo pretty!! It looks natural and I wore it once for almost 12 hours straight and didnt notice any fading!
- I absolutely love the eyeshadows too! The pairing in this duo eyeshadow work well together and are extremely pigmented and long lasting. Unfortunately, I couldnt photograph the swatches well enough…I promise they look better when applied on the eye lid than in my swatch pic !
- There are 2 brushes in this kit and usually I find that most brushes included in kits are cheaply made and useless. But in this case, I like the brushes too! They are well made and the bristles are soft. I do use the eye shadow brush quite a bit when travelling and the powder brush in this kit is actually perfect for applying powder to the hard to reach areas of your face.
Now lets take a look at the not so good things about this kit!
- I already mentioned this at the beginning of this post..I don’t like the bag. Its not well made and doesnt look that great.
- I think you must have noticed how in all the shots of the products in the pan there is powder everywhere around the rim. This is the downside to having that nice fine milled powder. I find all the 4 baked items in the kit a bit powdery and messy when applying because of how fine the powder is..
- I find the problem above gets aggravated when you try to use your normal brushes for these products due to the fact that they are small pans. It is annoying to have powder fly everywhere when I try to use my normal size blush brush for the blush!
- I have to say that the bronzer is my least favorite item in this kit. I was hoping to use the bronzer for contouring and when i tired it out it was terrible! Once you apply the bronzer it kind of stays put and doesnt blend so in the end I had 2 lines on my cheeks…you dont need further details of a contouring gone wrong scenario now do you?! Also the bronzer looked too pinkish on my face..so maybe I’ll just use it as a bronzer blush!
Ingredient wise I don’t see anything too troubling except that her products do contain Talc and Mica which some people like to avoid. They are paraben free, incase you are looking out for products which don’t use them. Do feel free to ask me details about any of the ingredients listed!
Overall, I have to say I liked this kit. Its a nice way to try out different products from the Laura Geller baked collection if your new to her brand and products!