I know I am late to the lip jumbo/chubby sticks party at the drugstore 🙂 I am a fan of the Clinique chubby stick ones which I unfortunately left behind or misplaced when I moved half way across the world last year ! I think a couple of weeks back I discussed the Covergirl lip perfection lipsticks (here) and how when I picked those up I had picked these jumbo gloss balms too. If you’ve read that post on my blog , you’ll know that those lipsticks didn’t win any gold stars from me and unfortunately neither do these 😦
The 2 colors I picked up were the mocha twist which is a brownish nude color and plum twist which looks like a dark mauve purple in the tube. The annoying thing is that these color names are not printed onto the product and are listed only in the outer plastic wrapper, so once you open the seal you just have numbers for reference..so mocha twist is shade no.265 and plum twist is shade no.260.
Another interesting thing I should mention 🙂 I find the formula for the 2 shades slightly different! I generally like the feel of mocha twist on my lips than plum twist..so…anything good that I write about these jumbo gloss balms are solely based on my experience with mocha twist 🙂 As you can see from the pictures, I’ve used Mocha twist much more than Plum twist!
- One of the things I like about these is the packaging. It is easy to carry this around in your purse (you will definitely need to, if you plan on using this as your lip product of the day). The packaging is very much like the Clinique chubby sticks, with a twist mechanism at the bottom to push out the product from the top.
- The mocha twist shade is a neutral nude shade which has just the right amount of shine which I like. You can see from the picture that there are fine shimmer particles in the balm. However, I don’t get the same amount of shine from the plum twist.
- They are advertised as being lip balms and although they are not very moisturizing, I do find that mocha twist does a fairly good job of not drying out my lips. Its the opposite with plum twist for me! I find plum twist very drying on my lips!
- The swatches above are after I’ve swiped these balms 6 times..and yes they still look quite sheer..which is okay since they are advertised as being sheer. But what I don’t like is that the plum twist comes off looking really patchy on the lips with the color settling into fine lines. The patchiness gets worse with each swipe so it comes off looking like a bad lipstick.. a single swipe on the other hand hardly shows up! so in other words I find Plum twist totally useless although its one of the darkest shades in the line ! Mocha twist is a nude shade and that is probably why it doesn’t come off looking patchy.
- Mocha twist glides on quite effortlessly and as I mentioned before is decent with the moisturizing aspects. With plum twist I find that its a bit more dry in texture and so sometimes it does feel like I am rubbing a crayon across my lips 😦
- These jumbo balms wear off quite fast, so if like me you don’t like to keep touching up your makeup throughout the day, they are not for you!
- These are quite pricey (8$) for what you get! They have poor staying power, patchy color payoff, not particularly moisturizing (drying in the case of plum twist) so I don’t see myself picking up anything more from this line 😦
Maybe I got a dud plum twist..I dunno..or maybe I have the worst dry lips in the world 😀 . Let me know if you’ve tried these and it worked for you!
Until next time, ciao!!